Mandatory Electrical safety certification – what it means for you, the Landlord (perspective from a Landlord and Letting Agent)

Electric legisThe certificate:

The required certificate is an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). An electrical engineer will check all of the circuits that leave the consumer unit of the property and ensure they are safe.

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 require landlords in England to maintain their properties to the electrical safety standards, and to have evidence of this. This means your property must meet the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and you must have a report that shows this from a qualified person.

A valid certificate lasts for 5 years.

When do you need it by:

For every time a new tenancy is created, or an existing one renewed, on or after 1st July 2020, you will require an EICR. It is important, that this legislation will apply to all existing tenancies (fixed or periodic), from 1st April 2021, all properties must have an EICR.

What do I need to do with an EICR?

  • you must give a copy of the EICR to your tenants before their tenancy starts, like we do with a gas certificate, energy performance certificate, how to rent guide, deposits
  • When you replace the EICR, you must provide your tenants with a copy of the new report within 28 days of the inspection
  • If you tenant requests a copy of the EICR in writing, you must also provide them with one within 28 days
  • If the local authority requests the EICR, you must provide them with a copy of it within seven days. Penalties could apply for non-compliance.
  • You must also give a copy to any prospective tenant (who request one in writing) within 28 days.


How much is it going to cost me:

We have negotiated rates with electrical contractors (who cover Lancashire area) and the cost of certification costs start from £85 (dependant on size of property). Please be vary that if you haven’t rewired recently, there is remedial works that are required to get to the required standard, then you need to take into consideration the costs you will incur for remedial works. If on inspection the property doesn’t meet levels for certification (breach), then you have 28 days from that point to get works sorted or if currently vacant, works need to be done prior to the commencement of new tenancy.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 14.59.50What if I don’t get the certification?

 This is a good question and be honest, I know some of you may have considered this option. Let me be clear, this is not an option, don’t consider it and put yourself at risk!

  • Fine of £30 000 per breach
  • Will be enforced by local authorities, please note tenants can report non compliance if they haven’t received certification
  • If possession required via quote, you will have waived rights under Section 21 notice as the tenancy commenced in a non-compliant way, hence meaning youi cant serve the notice

Few common issues to expect when you carry out your first certificate:

  • Fuse box – needs RCD protection
  • Light fitting in bathrooms – many fittings aren’t compliant with standards, if you have standard fittings, then this will need action




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s